One of the latest solutions to arise in the 3D printing industry is large-scale printing. Large 3D printers are mostly based on FDM technology and by their nature affordable, easy to use and to maintain. The most popular available material is PLA; easily accessible and with few printing challenges. Additional materials are available with better mechanical properties for more advanced applications.
Now comes the obvious question: who could enjoy the benefits of large-scale 3D printing and what are the benefits of using it?
All parts below were printed with BigRep Large Scale 3D-Printing Technology
DESIGN & CONCEPT MODELING
Once size limitation is no longer a factor, large parts can be produced at very low cost to simulate large products. Post-processing will bring the final model closer to the original product, and some of printed elements can be used as an end-use product.
Bathtub after Post Processing
The Ocke Stool
Children's Room Lamp
- Shortens the time from idea to a full-scale prototype, compared to alternative non-3D printing manual techniques (working with wood, foams, fiberglass)
- Considerable costs saving
- Freedom to design unique geometries and to create tailor made products.
Printing of one large full-scale part or several individual parts that are assembled to a prototype of a large product or device.
- Produce a prototype of the final part/product to perform fit-testing with other parts, design verification and basic functional testing
- Accelerating design and manufacturing processes
- Save costs compare to alternative solutions
Learn more about modeling, building and testing custom products fast and cost-efficiently.
ENTERTAINMENT & ADVERTISEMENT
This is another example of an industry that traditionally produces models and objects in a manual process using different techniques. Using a large-scale 3D printer enables the creation of unique marketing and promotional elements.
3D printed sign
- Traditionally all parts and models in this industry are made manually. Large-scale 3D printing dramatically reduces manual labor, saves time and costs compared to traditional processes
- Offers freedom of creativity to design and produce customized products and elements
With over 22 years in the printing industry, Gil Lavi is a Sr. 3D-Printing Specialist with vast experience in implementing diverse 3D-printing technologies in design and manufacturing processes.
Connect with Gil on Linkedin HERE.